Thursday, March 6, 2008

Illustration Friday: Leap


So I decided to try something new. I ( or rather my work) always gets labeled as "cute", and you know what? That's fine. But I want to start branching out, and Illustration Friday is the perfect opportunity to do so. So even though I remained pretty literal in my interpretation I decided to break out of my usual style. There is obviously a lot of Gorey influence going on, but I think it still remained my own.

As far as the illustration itself....I just thought it would be funny to see distinguished gentlemen act like children...and any excuse to draw handlebar mustaches is cool with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the textures here, great action too!

mangosteenskin said...

i love all your work. great job!

van dyke said...

Wow, nice illustration. Yes, the Gorey influence is there but my first impression was not of Gorey. These guys are having fun, more fun than in a Gorey illo. I like the monochromatic silhouetted background. Very good. I am enjoying this very much. Maybe the message is that you can have fun and be a kid at any age and time.

Stilos said...

Hi Andy, great work you have here!
I do like your "Leap" illustration both for concept and technique. I also try to explore new ideas and styles on my illustrations comissioned for IF.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I usually start with an outline drawing of my illustration, either done with pencils or using Flash and then i paint and do the texturing on PS.